Government Higher Primary School, Nagavalli Village
Currently the infrastructure need is for 5 to 7th and this school is likely to house 8th in future as per the Rashtree Madhyamika Shikshana Neethi. Newly built classroom by Government is already leaking and not fit for students to sit. There are so many old broken structures that need to be demolished. Sump is in a place very far from Borewell and also far from kitchen. Kids pull water out of the sump by hand which is dangerous.
On inspecting the school, the engineer has suggested repairing the main building which has bad flooring and roofing (Mangalore tiles). Once fixed, 5 th to 7 th standard can be accommodated here. Fix the roof of the newly build class room to make it water proofing. With this the 1 st to 4 th standard classes can move into the new class rooms. The sump to be shifted close to kitchen and fix the water and toilet supply. We may also have to repair the existing toilet block for boys to make it work as the same has no proper drain facility because of which water is getting stagnant.
Total estimation for carrying out the above work is estimated at about Rs. 10.00 lakhs.
School management and Zilla panchayat has agreed to demolish the old blocks and clean it up. Also panchayat member has agreed to get the drinking water from the panchayat to the School premises.
The school presently has 10 classrooms, 1 staff room, 1 TV/computer room, 1 sports room and 1 kitchen block. Out of 10 classrooms, 6 classrooms are in dilapidated condition. The classrooms with mangalore tiled roof had broken tiles, damaged roof support, cracked walls, broken floor. The classrooms with RCC roof were also not in good shape as they were leaking and crack in the walls. That leaves effectively 4 classrooms for academic purposes which are fairly in good shape. The existing toilet was not functional as the same was not provided by drainage. The kitchen and toilet is not provided with water lines and children are seen ferrying water from a distance in buckets. There was no separate toilet for girls.
Below are few pictures before OSAAT intervention.
- Repairing of 3 classrooms with Mangalore tiled roof which include replacing the broken tiles, replacing the damaged wooden support structures, redoing the floor with kota stones, filling the cracks in the walls, repairing the damaged windows, providing electric supply and lighting and paining the refurbished classrooms
- Repairing the existing toilet by replacing the broken commodes, fixing the drainage lines, providing water lines etc.
- Construction of new toilet block for girls complete with commode, water lines, and drainage lines
- Construction of wash area for children.
- Water proofing the classrooms with RCC roof which were leaking.
- Fixing water lines to kitchen, toilet and wash area including fixing overhead tanks and submersible pump for the borewell
The above works were undertaken at an overall cost of about Rs. 15.00 lakhs. Below are few pictures after OSAAT intervention.
Call For ActionWe are proud to have started this journey. We are grateful and optimistic that people will want to continue this domino effect, so we can do more. Want to be a domino for this or any of our other projects Donate!
Share this Post