OSAAT Q1 2023 Newsletter
Greetings from OSAAT family and here we are with our Q1CY23 newsletter. There are many exciting events are happening with OSAAT eco-system and we are thrilled to share it all!
We have started off the year by breaking in the clouds. Here are some of the projects that were inaugurated in the first quarter of CY 2022
- Melanikuzhi, TN – The project is funded by a donor from the USA. OSAAT’s proposal is for four new classrooms and a toilet block for boys.
- Yalavatti, KA – The project is funded by donors in India and the USA. OSAAT’s proposal is for four new classrooms and a toilet block for boys and girls.
- Ichangi, KA – The project is funded by donors in the USA. OSAAT’s proposal is for four new classrooms and a toilet block for boys and girls.
- Maralli, KA – The project is funded by donors in the USA. OSAAT’s proposal is for three new classrooms and a toilet block for boys and girls.
The projects completed and handed over in Q1, CY 2022 are as follows:
- Sidlaghatta, KA – The project is funded through the general funds of OSAAT. We are still looking for donors to fund this project. OSAAT’s proposal is to construct a toilet block for boys and girls.
- Halehalli, KA – This project is funded by a corporate donor in India. OSAAT’s proposal is to construct three classrooms and a kitchen block with a store room. OSAAT also proposes to provide benches and desks to all these classrooms.
The projects that were started in Q1, CY 2022 are as follows:
- Tovinakere, KA – This project is partially funded by a corporate donor in India. OSAAT’s proposal is to construct four classrooms, a toilet block for girls and to provide benches and desks for these classrooms.
- Dasudi, KA – The project is funded by donors in the USA. OSAAT’s proposal is to construct three classrooms and a kitchen block with a store room. OSAAT also proposes to provide benches and desks to all these classrooms.
- Anegundi, KA – The project is funded by a donor in the USA. OSAAT’s proposal is to construct four classrooms and a small library room. OSAAT also proposes to provide benches and desks to all these classrooms.
- Bachegowdanahalli, KA – The project is funded by a donor in Singapore. OSAAT’s proposal is to construct three classrooms.
We enjoyed the opportunity to meet our donors – Linda and Janardhan Thakkar from Houston, Texas, and take them to one of our OSAAT schools in India. It is always a pleasure to have our donors visit our schools and see for themselves the impact their generous contributions make to the schools. When they visit, they can also mingle with the school staff, the students and the local community. Seeing the excitement of the children, hearing their stories and also the expression of gratitude by the school staff and the community allows them to understand all the behind the scenes work OSAAT does. We encourage all donors and friends to visit our schools.
Regarding the functioning of ODiSI, a survey was conducted by OSAAT recently with 187 participating teachers. We got interesting responses and feedback from them. They told us that because of ODiSI, the creativity and concentration has increased. They also mentioned that the students have started learning independently, which has spiked their ability to think. However, we noticed that there had to be a special attention given to mathematics. The adaptation of the ODiSI program was found to be almost 90%.
There was a consistent demand across the schools to increase the number of devices available so that more students could make the maximum benefit out of it.
Feather in the cap
Recognition for OSAAT by the Livermore Temple
For many years, the Hindu Community and Cultural Centre (HCCC) of the Livermore temple has been awarding grants to the non-profit organizations who are doing exemplary community service. They have graciously chosen OSAAT as a recipient of its Grant-in-Aid (GIA) program for many years. This year is no exception. We graciously thank HCCC for recognizing us.
“OSAAT Idol 2023” attracts local talent.
In preparation for the “Sangeetha Sandhya” fundraiser for OSAAT by Raaga, a premier Bay Area Kannada band, there was another fun event called “OSAAT Idol 2023” that was organized on 25th February 2023. The winners of the contest – Sohini Torvi and Manasa Nagaraj will perform on 9th April 2023 on the Raaga stage.
Natya Vedam – Kuchipudi aance academy school students put up a Kuchipudi Nritanjali performance and raised funds for OSAAT. Natya vedam school empowers dances to unleash passion, precision and confidence in students. OSAAT is grateful for this effort and gesture of raising funds to the academy and its members/parents.
Children’s Classical Dance Drama – ‘DURGA ZALI GAURI’
OSAAT in collaboration with Mudra Performing arts is bringing to the Bay Area audience, the all-time favorite Marathi Dance Drama with 90 local artists of varying ages from 5 to 65.
This is a story about the transformation of a young, feisty, but entitled princess named ‘Durga’, who is constantly sleep deprived. She blames everything and everyone for her problems and demands that they be punished severely. The king and the queen give in to her demands out of love, until one day when the king has had enough and refuses to appease her.
The arrogant princess leaves the palace and goes through successive life-transformative events.She learns from nature, common people from the kingdom and begins to understand the value of hard work, compassion, and the secret to happiness and joy, and peaceful sleep. Eventually, she transforms into ‘Gauri’, the compassionate one.
This incredible journey is presented through choreographed acts and a beautiful collage of classical, semi-classical, and folk dances. The script is woven with equally enticing music.
OSAAT is thankful to Mudra team for this gesture and support! Tickets can be purchased here: https://tugoz.com/dzg
Raaga – Sangeetha Sandhya
OSAAT Presents Sangeetha Sandhya event. Raaga team is working hard to present a musical extravaganza on sunday, April 9th @ Spangenberg Theatre Gunn High School in Palo alto to raise funds for One School At A Time (OSAAT). Please buy tickets online @ https://osaat.org/sangeetha-Sandhya-2023-tickets and support us! Raaga is a premier kannada band of the aby area.
We are thrilled to announce Dr. C.S Kedar, the retd-additional chief secretary who is a seasoned IAS cadre bureaucrat is joining OSAAT as Strategic Advisor. Apart from being an excellent public servant with an impeccable record of serving several Govt departments at both state and center levels, he has dedicated his post-retirement life to several social upliftment projects. A straightforward and humble personality with a passion and zeal to uplift the lives of less privileged people. We really are lucky to have him on our India board. Dr. Kedar – Welcome to the OSAAT Family.